I had a great last day in Vegas with Angie - which ended with a girls night out at a Moroccan belly dancing restaurant then watching the fountains at Bellagio! We had a really early thursday morning - so I only got about 4 hours sleep after getting home and then packing for NYC.
I landed in La Guardia on Thursday night after a long flight from Vegas. My flight was with AirTran, the service was brilliant but it seemed it was an all stops flight, and you think I am joking. We flew from Vegas to Dallas to Atlanta to NYC - a total of 9 hours!
We were not allowed to get off the flight at Dallas, however the pilot came down the aisle taking orders for passengers for starbucks and various takeaway outlets...rather amusing! I had leftovers from the night before with me, however he did get me some cutlery, and very willingly too!
I made my own way from La Gaurdia to Mike's apartment, and arrived with surprising ease on his doorstep at 10pm. He cooked me up some eggs for dinner and after a good catchup I literally fell into bed!
Friday was spent sightseeing around NYC on foot. I went to the site of The World Trade Centre and visited St Paul's Chapel across the road. I went to Macy's (because apparently you have too!) but Selfridges in London is soo much better. I visited Madison Square Park, Washington Square Park, and Gramercy Park. I went aboard the Coast Guard's Tall Ship which is temporarily docked at South Street Seaport and then walked across Brooklyn Bridge.
I got the Metro back to 42nd St and met Mike and his roommate Mark and we headed out to dinner at an Ethiopian Restaurant with some drinks to follow.
Yesterday (saturday) was a bit of a slow day with fatigue setting in. Mike cooked us up eggs bennedict for breakfast and we caught the train to Coney Island. We all had a hotdog from the fast food outlet that claims to have 'invented' the idea. The fellas went on the rollarcoaster, after my effort in Vegas, I declined the opportunity. I did go on the ferris wheel though!
We all slept on the train back to Manhattan, and chilled out before heading out to dinner at a Steak House. Great steak followed by a few beers with Mark, the rest piked and went home at 10pm!
Its now sunday and I am hoping to go to a gospel church in Harlem, if I can wake up Mike.... fingers crossed.
Ngaira
xx
2 comments:
ngaira, hello, g'day and hi
loved reading your blog. during the construction of the brooklyn bridge many lives were lost while the poor sods were SLAVING their guts out just to get the foundations in place, it was an horrendous tale on "7 wonders of the industrial world" did you catch up with Lisa?
Marie,
Thanks for your comment...not sure where it disappeared to, but I got it emailed to me. I did not manage to catch up with Lisa, i emailed her, but didn't get a response, so our communication didn't match up.
There was not much info on the lives taken in the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, but I had heard of the casualties due to the bends, when I was visiting Hoover Dam!
Hope you are well.. Ngaira xx
Post a Comment