I have just got internet after a week or so. I thought I would start by posting an extract from my diary.
We are being shown Zimbabwe by Antony (FOCUS staff worker) and Tawanda (FOCUS Administrator). These men have been beyond amazing, and I feel truly blessed to be experiencing the real Zimbabwe.
Sunday 22nd January
Morning team devotion - Prepare Your Mind
"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "1 Peter 1:13-16
We were all up early preparing for the busy church day ahead. We drove to Ruwa Baptist Church, which was about 40mins away, in a region on the outskirts of Harare. The church hires a building in what looked like a skills training centre. As we approached the building we drove past a very large tent being prepared for a pentecostal church. We then discovered that the other half of the building we were in, was being used by an indigenous church. We were then informed that the building we were in, would be used for another church service after us at midday. They definitely utilize all resources at their disposal.
The church service starts early in the morning, I believe around 7.30, for a prayer meeting. What they call Sunday School, commences at 8.30am, which is when the whole congregation meet to participate in a bible study.
Our group arrived around 9am, halfway through this part of the Sunday gathering. It was very encouraging to see the congregation fully participating in learning together. They were looking a 1 Cor 13, with the study being moderated by a woman from the front of church. The congregation were asked to speak in English where possible, so that we could understand also.
By about 9.30, the service part of church commenced. There was enchanting melodic singing, which we wear partly able to follow with the assistance of song books. The greeting were conducted by the elders and pastor, Gordon Dandato. Any people who were new to church were asked to stand, and inform the congregation of their names, fellowship status, and intentions. They were then walmy greeted by the Pastor and a few words spoken in Shona (the most common language in Zimbabwe). We were then introduced as guests, with Howard (our team leader) introducing the team. The youth choir (about 20 young adults) then stood up and sang us a welcoming song. The service included time for prayer, where individuals were given the opportunity to stand and share prayer points with the church. An individual then prayed for all prayers offered up.
When the time came for the sermon, I left with the children for Junior Church. We all headed outside and Shupi (Tawanda's fiance) split the children into two age groups. I had the younger children (3 in total) with Anna, and Jemima and Esther had the older age group (about 12). We used the 'Bible in 10 banner' we had bought with us from Australia, and taught the children that the bible is one big story of God's rescue plan for his people. The children were very quiet as expected. When we had finished our lesson, we joined with the other children and Jemima taught them some children's songs, which they really enjoyed. When the sermon was over, the children went back into the church and performed the songs they had learnt to the whole church.
Church had ended, and it was almost midday. The pastor walked outside to shake hands with people as they left. Once they shook hands they joined a line, so this way everyone shook everyone's hands and greeted each other. This whole process itself took about 15 mins, the Pastor then invited everyone to a church members house for a time of fellowship and a braai (bbq)for lunch.
We piled into the combi van, with a few additional extras and drove to the house where Tawanda boards, for lunch. The braai was an experience! I noticed that the young women were busy in the kitchen preparing the food, the older women were seated on the front veranda chatting, whilst the young men were standing around the braai, with the old men sitting in the front lounge room.
Water in jugs and a bowl was bought out by Shupi, she washed everyone's hands before lunch. Then cups were handed out, followed by two girls serving teapots full of milky tea (a sugar pot had previously appeared). Then Polony (a light pink coloured meat) sandwiches were passed out, again by the young girls. I had helped chop tomatoes in the kitchen, but had then found a seat with the older women. We ate, chatted and learnt more about each other as the afternoon unfolded.
About 30 mins later lunch was ready. We were given a plate with a small piece of beef sausage and piece of pork. The ladies then walked around with sliced cucumber, tomato and onion. A crate of soft drink in glass bottles then appeared, as people helped themselves to coke, fanta etc.
After lunch has finished all the seats were gathered and placed in the courtyard area near the braai, and we all sat down to pray and sing together to thank God for the time of fellowship we had enjoyed. Tawanda then wanted to show us his house, where he was living (a granny flat out the back of the main house). This will be where he and Shupi will live once they are married in July. We prayed a blessing over the house, and over their marriage.
A this stage, I had begun to not feel very well. I quickly made my exit and sat in the combi van. A little while later the team arrived and we started the journey back to Harare. I sat in the front seat with a sick bag, as we bumped our way home with a few pit stops. We went via Antony's house and dropped him off, then stopped for some bananas and mangos at a local market.
I took some maxolon when we arrived home and spent the rest of the afternoon/evening in bed with nausea. I missed dinner, and was feeling pretty yuck. After dinner Anna bought me two letters that had been written to me. Howard had asked our mentor to organise letters of encouragement from family and friends. He would then give these out to us through the trip. I opened a letter from Kate Beard, I had thought this very apt, as I had spent the last 4 or so hours wanting to vomit!!!!! My second letter was from Kerryn. Both of these letters were wonderful to read, and bought me such encouragement and joy. God's timing was perfect!
I was able to feel well enough to chat with Anna that night, which was a lovely opportunity to share our lives with each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment