Sunday, March 18, 2012

How much of a good thing is too much??

Nairobi, Kenya

I have arrived in Nairobi, my last stop in Africa. In the days leading up to my arrival, I was a little nervous as to what was in store for me here. My official itinerary was to be two days in Nairobi, then travelling to Meru for a night to visit my Compassion sponsor child.

Why was I nervous? Well I am not sure...just a gut feeling. So far on this trip, I have left space for God to show me things I would never have planned or dreamt of. I left the same space in my schedule in Kenya, would God provide for me again here? My caution I think was based on a sense of realism, I had been so truly blessed in Zimbabwe, South Africa and Rwanda, it would be unrealistic to expect even more during my time in Kenya. But in calculating my expectations, I forgot that I was in Africa!!

I arrived at Nairobi Airport on Friday evening, and was met by James, the driver of my friend Mike and Trish. It was soo lovely to see Mike and Trish again, as they have been in Nairobi for 12 months on a posting with AusAid. I spent Saturday morning catching up with Trish and meeting a few expats. But God had a plan for my afternoon, that was humbling and very emotional!

My story starts with a man, Peter (also known as Opi or The General) who knows, loves and serves Jesus Christ. He has a heart for the street boys of Nairobi. For many years he has found street boys, brought them home, fed, loved and educated them, to give them hope for a better future. Enter an Asutralian, Anna, who met Opi and shared his vision for rescuing and loving these boys. They have been working together for many years and have recently built a home, which now houses 45 of these young men. Enter my friend Mike, keen to serve Jesus in Nairobi, and discovers iAfrica.

On Saturday, iAfrica farewelled Anna, as she is moving back to Australia after 6 years in Kenya. Mike is replacing her as Chair of the Board of Directors. IAfrica held a farewell lunch for Anna and her family, and I was blessed to attend. I got to see the work of these saints, and marvel at the love and compassion these people have for the lost and forgotten of Nairobi. As the boys spoke, danced and sang their farewells, there was only a few dry eyes in the hall. For me, I was overwhelmed by how much one person can do to change so many children's lives. Opi and Anna (along with their families) inspired, encouraged and challenged me to use the blessings I have been given to love those who are forgotten. What an amazing way to spend a Saturday afternoon. If you want more info, please visit www.immanuelafrika.org

But that was not it....today I witnessed God's power to use me in a very small way. As I flew to Rwanda last week, I met a man called Fredrick on the plane. He is from Nairobi, and we had a great chat about many things including faith. I invited him to church with me this weekend, when I was in Nairobi. He agreed. So I called him on Saturday night, and he was still keen to come..brilliant!! So this morning, I was overjoyed to meet him again at church. Mike and I enjoyed chatting with him, and Mike has given him details to join his bible study.

I also was very lucky as I got to meet, and have a chat over a cup of tea with Bernie. Now I had never met Bernie before, mainly because she lives and works in South Sudan....but she is one of those people that everyone seems to know.. And thinks that you know her too!! I was in luck, she was in Nairobi for a few days and dropped in to visit Trish and Mike!! What an amazing woman...she has given her life to work in Sudan as a relief aid worker!!

So, as you can see Kenya has been better than ever imagined...my cup runneth over!! And I am yet to meet my sponsor child.....I fly to the UK on Wednesday, and think I need a rest to process all the unbelievably brilliant experiences I have had....but in the meantime, let the good things roll!!

No comments: