Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Searching for a church in Poole

Now that I have arrived in the UK, the time has come to find a church. I have only attended three churches in my lifetime (and I never really chose any of them) so I have to admit I was really nervous about the task ahead of me.

Using my OT skills, I completed a task analysis, and wrote a list of what I was looking for in a church. I conducted research online, and got some input from a few strangers. I prayed for wisdom and guidance, and then changed my mind continually. I had no idea that there were so many churches in Poole/Bournemouth to choose from.

As my indecision continued Sunday was fast approaching. By Saturday night I still had a short list of 5 churches. I was feeling the pressure (self-induced) to find the right church immediately. As I am only in the UK for a maximum of 6 months, I didn't want to waste precious time church shopping.

So unable to sleep, I decided to download sermons from the short-listed churches. I was able to quickly cross out a few, and finalised the two churches I would attend the following day. It was after 1am, I could now sleep!

First church in the list was Broadstone Baptist Church. I drove 8 minutes down the road to Broadstone, located the church, parked and breathed deeply. I arrived 5 mins late, well that is what we do in Australia! But not here, church had started, and it was full, so and I was directed to an empty seat in the front row. Lesson learnt!

I sat through the meeting trying to follow the flow of things. What struck me immediately was a real sense of community. The pastor, Tim, really knew and engaged with his congregation. We sang happy birthday to a little boy, and Tim let us know about his upcoming trip to the USA (supplying an itinerary for those interested). The whole church then practiced their fighter verses. Wow!!

Tim then informed us that he was preaching through Acts and the mornings sermon was from Acts 4:31-5:11, the story of Ananias and Sapphira.

I was challenged to fear God as He takes sin very seriously. I was encouraged by the reminder that Jesus has already paid the price for my sin, by his death on the cross.

'But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.' 1 John 1:7

The formal part of church finished, it was now time to 'assess the friendly factor'. To say I felt welcomed was an understatement. I had sat next to Sylvia during church. She introduced herself and we chatted. Sylvia is in her 80's with very poor vision due to macular degeneration. She can't read the bible in church, but avidly reads at home with a projector device.

I then met more friendly faces, and the pastor Tim came over and introduced himself. I was invited to Tim's for a roast dinner (lunch), which I turned down (was already cooking one for Grannie Smith and myself). I was introduced to Dirk, whose home group I could join.

I left church feeling overwhelmed by God's provision and guiding hand. I had found a church which faithfully taught the bible, provided real fellowship and a place that I felt I could serve.

I returned home to cook a roast beef dinner, then returned for evening church. I was challenged and encouraged by a presentation on the current political situation in Mali (very dynamic!). The church has a missionary serving in Mali with Wycliffe, doing bible translation work.

After the service Sylvia invited me back to her home for a cup of tea. I accepted and we enjoyed sharing our lives and testimonies with each other. We prayed with each other before I left. I drove home praising God for his provision of Christian family here in Poole.

I never even made it to the next church on my short list!


1 comment:

katie.b.busy said...

So glad to read how carefully and prayerfully you considered this... and then how graciuosly God answered you :o) Kat xo