Wednesday, April 04, 2012

My Dad is now an Aussie

So after living in Australia since 1983, my Dad is now an Aussie. I was not there to witness this historic occasion, as I am in the UK. Mercia and Mum shared the day with Dad, and apparently Mum shed a tear!

Dad has never really wanted to be an Aussie. He has never really needed to. As an Englishman (and permanent resident) he is eligible to vote, use Medicare and remain ignorant to BBQ's and sport.

But now Mum and Dad live in the UK, he has lost his permanent residency, so it was either citizenship or tourist visas. Suggestions were made that this could have positive implications on Mum giving Dad the slip! But seriously, what a pain.

So in Dad's words, on Thursday 29th March 2012 I was "nobbled in a backstreet of Canberra in broad daylight."

No comments: