It was Friday of my second week of work... And I was all set for a weekend in London. I finished work at 4.30 and was on the road by 5pm. I had packed hurriedly, and yes I did forget a few important items!
I drove out of Poole in Mum and Dad's Honda Jazz. The road leaving town was congested, everyone heading home from work. The traffic was slowed by constant rain showers and even a hail storm, and I giggled to myself. Why? Well firstly the scene was so typically English, rain and hail. But probably more so because the region has just moved to a hose pipe ban, due to 'drought' conditions.
I drove 1.5 hours north to Farnham, a quaint town in Surrey. As I drove past signs to Jane Austen's home, I made a mental note to visit next time I travelled this way.
I arrived at Carolyn's home just on 6.30pm. Carolyn shared a flat in London with my Mum in the 1970's, before they were both married. Carolyn had arranged tickets to see a play at the Farnham Maltings. The play was titled 'The Girl with the Iron Claws' and was very well done.
We had a lazy Saturday morning before I headed off to Wimbledon Village to meet Karen and Moe for lunch. After 45 mins I arrived, and spent the next 4 hours catching up on 4 years news. Some would say that was an economical afternoon. These lovely ladies are both OT's I worked with when I used to live in London.
I jumped back in the car and headed north to Hampstead to meet Bec for dinner. We had a lovely meal at a local pub, before returning to my car. And my second parking infringement notice in 2 weeks!! £80 this time, and booked for failing to pay from 5.58-6.00pm!!
Anyway.... Moving swiftly along. Bec and I drove into Central London, and went to Proms Praise at Royal Albert Hall. What a night!!! Performers included Keith & Kirsty Getty, Jonathon Veira and Graham Kendrick.
I arrived at my Aunt and Uncles at around midnight! Went straight to bed, and awoke in the morning to a cup of tea in bed and then my Uncle Julian cooked me eggs and bacon for breakfast.
Sunday was a lazy day. The sun was shining, so we walked along the Thames to an allotment. Watered the plants and I picked heaps of rhubarb. We then sauntered home while I enjoyed a lovely Skype chat with a friend of mine, Simon in Canberra.
Hungry from the sunshine, we decided to try out Jamie Oliver's new restaurant down the road 'Union Jacks'. With some nice English grub and wine on board, It was time for me to depart, and take the M3 home to Poole and Grannie Smith.
A relaxing weekend spent with special people, great food and joyful music.



No comments:
Post a Comment