I flew from London to Newark, NJ on Friday 12th October 2012, leaving behind the UK and carrying with me many special memories from my 6 month visit. I transited through Basel, Switzerland, which made my journey feel longer than it really was.
I arrived at Newark airport, had my fingerprints taken again at US Customs and commenced the US section of my travels.
I exited the immigration area to be greeted by Diane Zanias, who had a huge smile and welcomed me with an American hug. We popped out to the 'sidewalk' and I was greeted by Pete Zanias. These wonderful people have kindly opened their home and hearts to me, for my first week in the US.
So what have I been up to.. good question!! Here is a run down so far
Saturday
Drove down to Philadelphia and checked out the historic district, especially the Liberty Bell and Irish memorial.
The Liberty Bell is an iconic symbol of American Independence. It was formerly placed in the steeple of the Pennsylvania State House (now renamed Independence Hall), the bell was commissioned in London in 1752, and was cast with the lettering (part of Leviticus 25:10) "Proclaim LIBERTY throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof." It originally cracked when first rung after arrival in Philadelphia, and was twice recast by local workmen John Pass and John Stow, whose last names appear on the bell. In its early years, the Liberty Bell was used to summon lawmakers to legislative sessions and to alert citizens to public meetings and proclamations.
The Irish Memorial, was opened to the public in 2003. The Memorial is dedicated to the memory of more than one million innocent men, women and children who perished during the years 1845 to 1850 and to the millions of Irish immigrants who found freedom, liberty and prosperity in the US.
Indulged in a Philly Cheese Steak with the lots and fell asleep whilst watching Rocky.
Sunday
I joined Pete and Diane at their local church, Grace Chapel. Here people wanted to talk to me to hear my Aussie accent, and I even got a compliment, when told that my accent sounded so refined!! LOL!!
We had a quiet afternoon, then headed to an Apologetics simulcast at the locale High School in he evening. We got to hear from William Lane Craig (www.reasonablefaith.org) as well as a few others Lee Strobel. Craig has a huge brain, and it was impressive to see it in action, even if I couldn't keep up!!
Monday
I had a sleep in, which was just delightful, before opening my Greek Text Book. I learnt the Greek alphabet, thanks to a funny YouTube video, sitting outside enjoying the fall weather and stunning views.
I even ventured out for a long walk to take in the sights of the rural countryside in which I am staying.
Tuesday
Meg, a friend if Diane's from church came over in the morning for a bible study, which I joined in on. Meg had just got back from a family holiday to Denver, Colorado. They drove 27 hours straight to get here, amusingly only minutes later we were discussing how far away Australia is, and how long a flight... The irony :-)
Diane and I then jumped in the car and visited Coplay Cement Kilns. The nine kilns were built in 1892-1893, and used for the production of Portland cement. They are constructed of locally produced red brick, and are known as Schoefer vertical kilns. They were shut down in 1904. The Coplay Cement Company donated the kilns and surrounding land in 1975, for a cement industry museum. Disappointingly, hear structures are fenced off, and a museum is not evident. But they are quite an attractive sight.
But Coplay also has covered bridges to see, so off we went to the Kreidersville Covered Bridge. This bridge is a Burr truss wooden covered bridge that crosses the Hokendauqua Creek in Allen Township, Northampton County, Pennsylvania. Its length is 116 feet. The bridge is owned by the township and is the only covered bridge remaining in Northampton County. In 1959, it inspired the citizens of Northampton County to rally for its preservation after it became known that the State Highway Department had plans to build a new concrete bridge in its place. It became one of the first covered bridges to be recognized for preservation by a committee of enthusiasts, who in 1959 formed a State organization called "The Theodore Burr Covered Bridge Society of Pennsylvania", so named for the arched truss patented by Theodore Burr and used in the construction of this bridge. In 1960, The Burr Covered Bridge Society, together with The Harmony Grange and local citizens, influenced the Northampton County Commissioners to accept ownership after the Pennsylvania State Highway Department restored the bridge.
Time was getting away from us, but we had time to pop into a local Craft shop for a crochet pattern before heading to an over-55's yoga class. I stretched, strained and giggled as we were put through our paces. It was really fun, and a relief to know I could keep up with the crowd :-)
After yoga, we popped down to the local diner for a 'cawfeee'. I had another American movie moment as we walked in and were greeted by an OAP waitress who knew Diane!! Here I got to chat with Diane's friend Jayne, and had a wonderful evening sharing lives and stories!
We made it home in time to watch the 2nd presidential debate, Mitt Romney vs Barack Obama (for those of you not in the know). It was interesting, but probably for me the most exciting part was feeling like I was playing my part in an episode of West Wing :-)
Wednesday
Hmmm.. Today I am yet to venture out of bed. I wonder what today has in store.... I will let you know :-)
Ciao for now!
Ngaira xx






No comments:
Post a Comment