I am on an Amtrak train on my way to Baltimore to meet up with Al and John Stark and their 2 children. I am excited as I have not met their youngest, but am sad to be leaving behind the Beaumont clan. So let me catch you up on what I got up to in my 2nd week in the USA.
Friday 19th October
The heavens opened up and the rain poured as Pete and Diane Zanias dropped me off at Morrisville, NJ where I was met by Sarah. The last time I had seen Tim and Sarah Beaumont had been Christmas 2007 in Cardiff, Wales. They had Isabella (Izzy) and a newborn boy, Ethan. The family has now moved to Union, NJ and have a new addition, Gavin (GavyB).
Sarah picked me up in her mini-van, oh how life has changed!! We drove back to her Mom's house where they live and got all settled in. Sarah and Tim have always challenged me, by the decisions they make and the way they live, and this trip was no exception!
I was given the single bed in the lounge, Sarah's Moms (Buckey) bed. Sarah and Tim share a bedroom with their three children and Sarah's brother Clint has the second bedroom. Buckey relocated for the week to Aunt Harriet's house, where she slept in the basement... And I have a sneaking suspicion that she enjoyed the change :-)
Now many people would think that having 7 people living in a 2-bed house was enough, but Sarah and Tim found room for one more! This is typical of their generous hearts and selfless love for others. What a blessing it is to know such wonderful people.
So I bet you are wondering how I know people in New Jersey. Sarah is a local, who met (at American Summer Camp) and married Tim who grew up in Cardiff, Wales. Tim studied at Cambridge, and worked in corporate law in London. I met them in 2003 when I did the Alpha Course at HTB. They loved and cared for me whilst we grew to love Jesus together. I even moved in with them for a few months when I needed a place to stay when life got tough in 2004. They moved back to NJ in 2008 and Tim has retrained, and is now a primary school teacher.
So this week for me, is a little bit like a homecoming, with chaos added into the mix....and as you will see... The week lived up to any expectations!
Saturday 20th October
It started early with a 7.45am Chelsea vs Tottenham soccer game in the lounge (aka my bedroom!). Uncle Ed arrived for the game with a bag on delicious bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon. Their were loud cheers, then silence as the Spurs were beaten by Chelsea.
But the silence was only momentary as we had a wedding to go to! Sarah's Dad was lining up for his 4th wedding, and the children were attendants. We bundled into the minivan and got to the church in time (just) and the children looked adorable. We spent the day hanging out with Sarah's family and being entertained by their bold humour!
Sunday 21st October
A slower start to the day, thank goodness as we were all a little tired. We attended a local church, where I was the prize exhibit with my Aussie accent. The pastor preached on John 8:31-32 and I was struck by how often I go to people for advice, assistance or comfort, when God says come to him. God may indeed send his response in the form of people, but he wants me to approach him first.
Monday 22nd October
Sarah kept Izzy and Ethan off school and we all went to Point Pleasant Beach on the jersey shore. We had fun sitting in the sun on the beach, competing in running races, picking up shells, and even discovering a horseshoe crab. We took some gorgeous photos and enjoyed nature and each others company.
Tuesday 23rd October
Buckey took a day off work and came over and looked after the boys so Sarah and I could spend the day together. We drove up to Morristown and checked out the arboretum before taking a tour of the Ford Mansion and Jockey Hollow National Park.
Ford Mansion (aka Washington's Headquarters) was where General Washington and his wife wintered in 1779-80. It became the centre of the American Revolution during their stay. The tour showed us through the house, and as I stood staring out the window, my mind wandered to consider what Gen. Washington thought when he stood in the same place.
About 7km down the road is Jockey Hollow. This site was chosen because it was easily defended and had enough resources to build log cabins to house his 10,000 strong troops. The men arrived in Jockey Hollow at the beginning of winter and slept in tents until they built themselves huts.
The conditions here were tough! There was not enough food, inadequate clothing and lots of work to do. This winter was also described at the time as the worst in living history.
For Sarah and I the conditions were perfect, the autumn colours were spectacular, the sun was out and it was charming as we took a look at replica huts and walked around the original farmhouse.
We returned home, picking Tim up from work on the way. We were greeted by dinner cooked by Buckey and excited children.... I'd like to say the day finished with hit cocoa by an open fire retelling stories and boring the children silly.... But that is not how we rolled!
Ethan (5 y.o.) ran into the kitchen to give his Dad a cuddle and slipped and banged his chin on the chair Tim was sitting on. Tears and blood flowed, and Sarah and Tim spent the evening in the ED getting three internal and 2 external stitches in Ethan's chin!
His cute face now bears the marks of battle, but I think it may help his Halloween costume look more authentic.
Wednesday 24th
Hmmmm this is one if those days where I will concede I did nothing!! Hmmm yep, nothing!! Ooh and it was good!
Thursday 25th October
And here I am now, still sitting on a train. About to leave Philadelphia station. I had an early start, said farewell to Tim at 6.30am as he left for school. Then took Izzy and Ethan to school, and more goodbyes, before Sarah and Gavin drove me to Newark Penn Station. More cuddles and goodbyes, and an open invitation to return for longer next time from Sarah.
The blessing of good friends is sadness when you depart, comfort in the knowledge that we will think and pray for each other often in the meanwhile, and joyful hope that we will see each other again soon.








No comments:
Post a Comment